Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Happy Wednesday!

Hello!
I know, I know, I've not been blogging - I've been away, ill, busy and feeling the need to hibernate! But I'm back... I can't make any guarantees as to how often I will post but I haven't abandoned my blog - oh no!!

I hope you out there had a very happy Yule, Christmas, Gregorian New Year and any other holidays and celebrations you may have had since I seemed to drop off the face of the Earth.

I have a lot of things I've been thinking about and hopefully I will be able to share things with you in the not too distant future.



What I want to talk about today is the American inauguration. Mr President Barack Obama. There are an awful lot of wonderful things about this man by the seems of things and I am totally hopeful for the future. Oh and 'yay' at the goodbye to Bush. But there are a couple of things about the inauguration that are not so positive to me though.


Firstly

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers."

Are those all the religions there are in America? I thought I had Pagan brethren over there.... sorry my mistake!

Maybe, being a Brit, it's none of my business. But I know I was upset and angered by that and I know it would have upset me more if I was an American. I am hoping it was nerves or an unfortunate case of cramp that made him make the omission - we shall see.


Secondly:

I thought Americans believed in separation between church and state. If this is the case why was the ceremony so heavily God and Christian orientated? Is it always like this? Having never seen an inauguration before I have no way of knowing. I know I certainly had no reason to want to watch or even think about Bush being sworn in.


I could go into the possible negatives further.... H Clinton appears to be a tactical move to appease certain voters (possibly the same one McCain was with Palin), and many of his behind the scenes folks don't exactly seem to embody the change he was offering.

Still, that's not that this is to say I'm not inspired by him. On the whole though I have to say I found his frank, truthful realism very reassuring - I have hope for the US and for the impact they have on the rest of the world. Well done America for making such a good choice and lets hope that all who believe in the man (myself included) are right and he's as good as he seems.


On final thing I want to say....... From the election over there and throughout the inauguration process it has been mentioned that Martin Luther King's dream his now been realised. Surely that, whilst we are definitely on the way to getting there, that dream will only be realised when we have an African American President of the US or a Prime Minister of the UK and no one even thinks to mention it?

No comments: